Hayes Lemmerz has expanded remarkably since its start in 1908 as Hayes Wheels, when it manufactured its first product – a wooden spoked wheel for the Ford Model T. Since that time, the Company has become a leading global supplier of wheels and other components for the passenger and the light, medium and heavy duty truck markets.
Over the last several years, Hayes Lemmerz has expanded geographically, broadened its product offering and branched out to supply heavy truck producers. The Company has grown through acquisitions including Motor Wheel in 1996, and then certain businesses of Bosh as well as Lemmerz in 1997.
In addition, Hayes Lemmerz has expanded it presence in Brazil, South Africa, Thailand, Japan, the Czech Republic, Turkey, Mexico and India. As a result of these acquisitions, Hayes Lemmerz is the market leader worldwide for steel and aluminum wheels.
In 1999, Hayes Lemmerz continued to make strides by broadening it’s product offerings to include suspension and powertrain components through the acquisition of CMI International, one of North America’s leading manufacturers of aluminum, iron and polymer automotive components.
Today, Hayes Lemmerz has developed a worldwide presence and customer base with 44 facilities worldwide and a presence in 17 countries serving all major Original Equipment Manufacturers (“OEM”s).